Some say Australian English is equivalent to Chilean Spanish. Do you agree?
Just like Spanish, we have a lot of different vocabulary and phrases in English, and they can change depending on your location in the world. Check out these common phrases in Australia and their translations into American English!
AUSTRALIAN / USA
1. I'm rapt → I'm really happy
2. I'm stuffed → I'm really tired or I'm in trouble
3. You right? → Can I help you?
4. She'll be right → It'll be fine
5. Chuck a sickie → To call in sick to work even though you’re not sick
6. Far out! → I can't believe it!
7. That's Ace → That's awesome/great
8. Give us a yell → Let me know
9. It's chockers → It's very full (viene de “it’s chock full.”)
10. I'm flat out → I'm extremely busy
11. Arvo → Afternoon
12. Defo → Definitely
13. Devo → Devastated
14. Brekky → Breakfast
15. Mate → Friend/buddy